May 22, 2010

On traveling-...

While I was going through my old files today, I found this note that I wrote on my south american trip last summer....


I like the way we travel- immersed in the experience by learning the language, dancing to local music and meeting local people. Traveling to me is no longer about sightseeing..it's about understanding the culture through engaging the things that I enjoy. ( in the process I realized how bad I am in learning a new language and how much practice I need to be good at dancing)


I like the conversation we have- on marriage, life, relationship, family and self-confidence. I think I learned more about marriage than I ever did. I know that no matter how happily married you are (and to be quite frank, no one can say they are really happily married..), there are times you will be hurt, unsatisfied and bored with the daily routine. Also, how important it is that you share common interest with the other person so you two can have fun together. Moreover how important your spouse's family impact your marriage. I also came to become a bit more clear about my attitude towards marriage.



As much as I enjoy other people's company, I came to realize that at times I like to have some time to myself. I need to reflect on how I am influenced by my surroundings.



I am getting used to "not planning in advance" and relaxing as much as I can during traveling. Sometimes you will need faith to believe that good things will happen to you. You need to let opportunities enter your life and I realized that having a little faith will go a long way..I will always remember the Casa Sweety example.



I hope I am not addicted to coffee. I've tasted one of the best coffee in my life..I love the smell, the awakening taste, the bitterness and the good smell of the fresh milk. they continue to make me energetic and happy. And the coffee in Bogota are better than those in Paris ( and cheaper prices too). How can anyone in Bogota not addicted to coffee?



I am not sure if I fully believe that the only things that matter in life is your relationship with others, although I am open and delighted by meeting new people during the trip:



Gustov and Nelson are my two first private Salsa teachers. I know they are far from the best salsa teachers but they will always have a special place in my heart since they are the ones who brought the world of Salsa to me



Andres is a mysterious guy who we met in Cali. We were confused with his motives to hang out with us and still a bit angry that we had to pay for US$25 for the cab ride. I think this experience, our standard toward guys changed..as long as the person pays, we think he is cool..That is so wrong..and yeah, I had the most "too much/too close" dancing experience in the club that Andres took us



Carlos is my Salsa teacher at Cali. We had two hours of Salsa each day for three days. He is by far the best Salsa teacher that I had during the trip. Not only he dances well, he knows how to teach. I also loved our dancing studio in Cali. It's simple, and hot at times but I love the full length mirror and watching little kids stretching and practicing their moves


Esmeralda and Andreas: A passionate couple who taught us 6 classes of Merangue, Cuban Salsa and hip-hop. We love to discuss their relationship- How cute Andreas is, How dominant Esmeralda is and how Esmeralda must have been the best thing that ever happened to Andreas. Later we found out how wrong we were and how romantic their relationship must be. Although Shikha and I are still skeptical about their relationship, I cannot help thinking how crazy Andreas must have been and how much courage is required for their relationship to work. I like Esmeralda in so many ways, she is confident, attractive, strong, smart and knows how to have a good time.


Leo and Omar: Two local “musicians” who we met in Cartagena. They could barely speak a word of English. I think they must have thought I was very dumb and boring since I barely speak when we hang out with them. I try to understand the conversion but often I end up wondering stupid things such as why my good friend broke his promise to see us



Tor and Ben: Two Harvard law school student that we meet when we went to Tu Candela in Cartagena. We re-connected and went out for dinner several time when we traveled back to Bogota. Tor reminded me of the "Karl when he was in colleague" for some reason- tall& thin, a bit sentimental, uptight, clean, nerdy.



Reading this little note brough back so many memories and also reminded me how much I want to travel again..


1 comment:

Unknown said...

A student gave me this link. Just wanna see if you are doing fine with the firm. --Gilbert